The film crew, led by director Alfonso Gomez-Rehon, posted a poster, thereby marking the release date of the film “Current War” (2019) with this photo, the trailer, actors and plot were announced - from the latest news in Russia about the film it is known that it will appear on screens in 2019.
Movie rating: KinoPoisk - 6.4, IMDb - 5.9.
The current war
Genre: biography, history, drama
Producer: Alfonso Gomez-Rejon
World Premiere: September 9, 2017
Release in Russia: 2019 year
Cast: Katherine Waterston, Benedict Cumberbatch, Michael Shannon, Tom Holland, Nicholas Holt, Matthew Macfadien, Tuppence Middleton, Louis Eschborn Serkis, Tom Sweet, Amy Marston and others.
The film tells about the struggle of the great minds of the 19th century: Thomas Addison and George Wastinghouse, who fought for the use of direct and alternating current.
This is an epic story of ruthless competition between the greatest inventors of the industrial era, whose electrical system will rule in the new century. With the support of J.P. Morgan, Edison dazzles the world by illuminating Manhattan. But the Westinghouse, helped by Nikola Tesla, sees fatal flaws in Edison's DC structure. Igniting the war of currents, Westinghouse and Tesla are betting on risky and dangerous alternating voltage.
Director and shooting
The film was directed by Alfonso Gomez-Rehon, known for such works: "Losers", "American Horror Story", "Carrie Diaries", "Red Bracelets", "Me, Earl and the Dying Girl". The script was written by Michael Mitnik, who worked on the films Vinyl and Dedicated. David Trachtenberg was responsible for the installation (“Portal: Nowhere to Run”, “In Father's House”, “Me, Earl and the Dying Girl”, “Trophies before Death”).
- Timur Bekmambetov ("Search", "Nine", "Time of the First", "Do you know, mom, where have I been?", "Alice");
- Basil Ivanik ("City of Thieves", "Killer", "John Wick", "We Are One Team");
- Adam Ekland ("Patrick Melrose", "A Child in Time").
The world premiere of the project took place on September 9, 2017 at the Toronto Film Festival. But the film never came out, as its name is connected with the scandal surrounding the project’s production company - The Weinstein Company, whose head, Harva Weinstein, is accused of sexual harassment. Interestingly, the picture was predicted by the Oscar, but it was precisely because of the scandal that it did not get on the short list.
Actors and roles
The film was attended by a real star cast:
- Katherine Waterston as Margaret Westinghouse (Underground Empire, Entrance to Nowhere, Glass Jaw, Fantastic Beasts and Where They Live, Logan's Luck, Amundsen);
- Benedict Cumberbatch as Thomas Edison (Empty Crown, Brexit, The Game of Imitation, Atonement, Sherlock, Hawking, Good Signs, Doctor Strange);
- Michael Shannon as George Wastinghouse (“Tomorrow Comes Today”, “Little Drummer”, “Underground Empire”, “Road of Change”, “Under the Cover of Night”);
- Tom Holland as Samuel Insula (Pilgrimage, Lost City Z, Wolf Hall, Spider-Man: Away from Home, Avengers: Infinity War);
- Nicholas Holt in the role of Nikola Tesla (“My Boy”, “Favorite”, “Mad Max: The Road of Fury”, “Skins”, “Inhabitants of the Hills”, “X-Men - The Dark Phoenix”);
- Matthew Macfadien as J.P. Morgan (Ripper Street, Frost vs. Nixon, Death at a Funeral, The Nutcracker and the Four Kingdoms);
- Tuppence Middleton as Mary Edison (Black Mirror, Eighth Sense, War and Peace, The Imitation Game);
- Louis Eschborn Serkis as Alder Dash (Young Morse, Alice Through the Looking Glass, Mowgli);
- Tom Sweet as a boy ("Gunpowder", "Childhood of a Leader", "Where Hands Touch");
- Amy Marston as Annabelle Warrington (The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus, Rome, Young Morse) and others.
Did you know that:
- Initially, the role of George Wastinghouse was to be played by Jake Gyllenhaal (Zodiac, Under the Cover of the Night, Velvet Chainsaw), but he was unable to participate due to a busy schedule, so they invited Michael Shannon to the role;
- Timur Bekmambetov was supposed to become the director of the film, but later resigned from this position;
- The filming process took place in London.
The latest news about the film "Current War" (2019), the release date in Russia, the trailer, actors, plot and photos of the first poster of which have already been announced, cannot but please fans of the autobiography genre. The film will introduce the viewer to the amazing confrontation of the two greatest minds of the 19th century.